this week, i’ve been thinking a lot about what it means to be a writer who is professional. by that, i mean someone who takes their writing seriously, as opposed to a technical writer. i believe a professional attitude is key to success, however a writer defines success.
what does this mean? i believe in the following:
- building a secure environment so that you can write
- providing/accepting support to/from fellow writers
- ensuring your work is the best it can be when you submit
- both being mentored and mentoring others
- working together with editors in mutually respectful ways
- dealing with rejection in a mature manner
- nurturing collaboration where it fits for you
it’s a small writing community and each must take responsibility for their involvement. this is not to say a writer must do a million things, but i do believe that involvement in the community, to some degree, is what separates the amateur from the professional. besides,it’s a decent thing to do, acting and reacting professionally.
are you professional in your writing life?