time for a list.
top 10 books that carry weight in my adult(ish) mind.
a list on this particular day, for no particular reason, in no particular order:
1. WIDE SARGASSO SEA by Jean Rhys
2. THE SUN ALSO RISES by Hemingway
3. OLD FILTH by Jane Gardam
4. JESUS’ SON by Denis Johnson
5. THE REMAINS OF THE DAY by Kazuo Ishiguro
6. THE QUIET AMERICAN by Graham Green
7. OFFSHORE by Penelope Fitzgerald
i also like TRAVELS WITH MY AUNT by Graham Green and it makes it on my list sometimes. i just read NORMAL PEOPLE by Sally Rooney and it might make my top 10 list, as could Deborah Levy’s HOT MILK. i’m cooler on Rachel Cusk, but one of her trilogy might be up for consideration?
i love books that travel other places and i like them weird and moody.
PS this is HARD WORK.
PPS i forgot Otessa Mossfegh. gah.