Colm Tóibín has penned these important rules of writing and i’d best pay attention.
- Finish everything you start.
- Get on with it.
- Stay in your mental pyjamas all day.
- Stop feeling sorry for yourself.
- No alcohol, sex or drugs while you are working.
- Work in the morning, a short break for lunch, work in the afternoon and then watch the six o’clock news and then go back to work until bed-time. Before bed, listen to Schubert, preferably some songs.
- If you have to read, to cheer yourself up read biographies of writers who went insane.
- On Saturdays, you can watch an old Bergman film, preferably Persona or Autumn Sonata.
- No going to London.
- No going anywhere else either.
i’m fond of number 9, no going to London. i wonder what shenanigans Colm gets up to in London and then i wonder what shenanigans i could get up to in London and, before you know it, i’m searching for airline tickets.